mcleansboro township

Welcome to McLeansboro Township

McLeansboro (McLeansborough) was incorporated in 1842. The town was named from a Dr. William Byars McLean. The first additions of Marshall's and Heard's were done in 1854. McLeansboro was first incorporated as a village in 1874 and then in 1886 was incorporated to a city. Our current courthouse was built in 1938 and dedicated on October 20, 1939.

McCoy Memorial Library (pictured left) is located at 130 S. Washington Street, McLeansboro, IL. Once the home of the Aaron G. Cloud family, it was built in 1884. Mr. Cloud died in 1893 and entrusted his house to his daughter Mary E. Cloud McCoy. She and her husband resided in the home for the remainder of their lives. In her will, Mrs. McCoy presented the house to the City of McLeansboro with the stipulation it was to be used, and known, as the Mary E. Cloud McCoy Memorial Library. The library opened on December 13, 1921. The library is one of four buildings in McLeansboro that is listed on the National Trust. The library included Eastlake style ornamentation and has 9 interior fireplaces.